Hello!

This blog is more like a diary for me. At least that's the goal here. I've been sad that I haven't been keeping a journal or diary since meeting my wonderful husband. I wanted to have something to always look back and see how our life together began. Then there were more and more things happening and I decided that starting up a blog to document everything would be perfect. I tend to be an open book in general, so you'll probably find you're getting way more information than you need. But that's why this is MY blog, right? I get to decide what to write, you get to decide what to read. I hope you find some entertainment, if nothing else, from reading about my journey through life.



Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, May 31, 2010

Ok, so maybe I'm a little crazy. Whatevs.

I should have updated last week....

Last Monday, on the day I hit 10 weeks, I had my first official OB appointment. I met with a nurse and was there for over 2 hours. It was an appointment jam packed with a LOT of information - all the dos and don'ts of pregnancy, what you can and can't eat, etc. I had heard most of the information at some point or another, but still a very helpful appointment. The two things that surprised me were 1) no bean sprouts or alfalfa sprouts (apparently the bacteria called Listeria lives and hides deep inside the sprout) and 2) I can only eat tuna fish salad 2-3 times a month. The book I have says you can have up to 12 oz of canned tuna a week (and I was having just about that). Oh well.

I had told Ed he didn't need to go with me to the appt., because it was just a bunch of paperwork and information. Little did I know, I was going to actually hear the baby's heartbeat! Yikes! It was very exciting, but I wish Ed had been there to hear it, too. The next ultrasound isn't supposed to be until 18 weeks, which is still 7 weeks away. I guess he'll just have to be patient.

At the end of my appointment the nurse handed me my slip for blood work and I headed over to the lab. While I was sitting in the waiting room, a nurse came out with this orange drink and told me I was to drink it and wait an hour and then have my blood drawn. Um...what? Isn't this glucose test given about half way through pregnancy? Then WHY on earth am I having it at 10 weeks???? I called over to my dr's office (it's in a different building and I couldn't leave while waiting for the glucose test), and the woman on the phone told me they give early glucose tests for 1 of 2 reasons: 1) you have previously had diabetes (nope) or 2) your BMI is rather high. Oh. Oh. Ok. Well, yes. That would be it. People? I had a glucose test because I'm SO FAT! Unbelievable! I actually was only slightly embarrassed and chuckled and got off the phone. And to be honest, I wasn't at all concerned that I might have gestational diabetes. I was certain I didn't, because I've always been a little on the plump side, AND I just finished 2 almost back to back cycles of IVF (avg weight gain is 10 lbs per cycle). I was still happy to hear the news that my glucose test came back absolutely fine (107) and there's nothing to worry about there.

Here's where the crazy comes in...

We had a very fun weekend - we had 2 birthday parties and a wedding on Saturday, then the Portuguese Crowning, and another birthday party on Sunday. About half way through the wedding, I realized I wasn't feeling sick. Like at all. I've been sick (to the point of throwing up) for about 4 weeks), all day, every day. To not be sick was alarming to me. Throughout this pregnancy I have had an overwhelming sense of extreme hunger. I can eat a big meal and about an hour or so later, my stomach is growling. Well, this wasn't happening at the wedding, and I hadn't even eaten much. I was really getting nervous. I woke up Sunday morning and STILL no nausea. I mentioned it to Ed the night before and he, too, was nervous. I tried to shake it off, but I just couldn't. In my mind, I knew something wasn't right. It was way too soon to stop being sick, so it had to mean something was wrong with the baby. All my fears were coming true. I cried my way through church, and actually had to excuse myself from some of the goings on yesterday, just so I could get it together. I thought of every possible way I had jinxed this pregnancy, and tried to come up with anything that may have put my baby at risk. It was a horrible day. And then again this morning, NO NAUSEA. Ugh.

I went to the ER at 7:30 this morning and was smuggled into a hustling and bustling scene straight off a nighttime drama that takes place in an emergency room (I swear, there were people flopping around and crying and running around - it was awful!) by my boss (who happens to be an ER doctor). My oh-so-kind-boss threw me in a room and threw a bottle of gel at me and told me to squirt it on my belly and she started the ultrasound. She thought she saw a heartbeat and a moving baby but couldn't be sure. The ultrasound machine was rather ancient, so it really didn't put my mind at ease. At all. I couldn't make anything out on the screen either. Nightmare!

So there we went, running (literally so she could get back and save people's lives asap!) down the halls and she begged the not-so-thrilled ultrasound tech to slap an ultrasound on my belly - low and behold, a bouncing baby with a quick heartbeat! Thank you, God! Such a difference in what I saw 3 weeks ago - what were arm buds last time were long and jointed waving arms and real hands and fingers. So cute! Apparently, I'm just done with "morning" (more like around the clock) sickness! Can I get a whoop whoop!??!?!? So now I will march forward in this pregnancy and try my hardest to just trust that everything is ok, until our next appt (which is in 3 weeks). I'm strongly considering renting a doppler. I think it'll really just put our minds at ease, if we can hear our little baby's heartbeat whenever we want. And they're really reasonably priced. I think you can get one for less than $50 a month.

So. A great weekend almost turned into a terrible weekend. I'm so so thankful that this baby is alive and kickin'! I was beyond terrified. Honestly. And poor Ed! He was beside himself! What a relief!!!

Hope everyone had a fantastic long weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Holy cats, I skipped to the end to make sure everything was ok, then I went back and read it all properly.

    And yes, you most certainly CAN get a WHOOP WHOOP!

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete