Hello!

This blog is more like a diary for me. At least that's the goal here. I've been sad that I haven't been keeping a journal or diary since meeting my wonderful husband. I wanted to have something to always look back and see how our life together began. Then there were more and more things happening and I decided that starting up a blog to document everything would be perfect. I tend to be an open book in general, so you'll probably find you're getting way more information than you need. But that's why this is MY blog, right? I get to decide what to write, you get to decide what to read. I hope you find some entertainment, if nothing else, from reading about my journey through life.



Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, June 21, 2010

14 Weeks and Counting!


So first I'd like to mention that my First Screening tests last week went well. They said the fluid behind the baby's neck (which if above a certain number is a sign of - not definitive, by any means - DS) was within the normal range. The ultrasound tech said we were at the very high end of the normal range, but I feel that was an unnecessary comment. Within normal is normal, right? I haven't heard anything about the blood tests that go with the First Screening tests, but that's because either a) they're waiting to tell me tomorrow at my OB appt or b) everything is fine. I'm pushing for the ladder (obviously).

I must say, the ultrasound last week was AMAZING! Absolutely amazing! Again - I'm so sorry, my dear husband, that I didn't have you come with me. Not that Ed minded staying home, since Portugal was playing in the World Cup, but still. I'd like to think he'd have chosen the most wonderful and detailed ultrasound of our little bambino over a soccer game. I certainly won't ask Ed what he would have chosen given the choice - for fear of the answer. Haha! I think he most certainly feels a little disconnected from this pregnancy, because everything that has happened so far is just what I tell him - can't see or feel anything himself, so I guess it makes sense. Back to the ultrasound... I was able to see arms and legs and a VERY active baby in there. The ultrasound tech was happy to see the baby moving so much, however, the little critter made her job very hard. Fine by me because that turned it into a 45 minute ultrasound. And then, wouldn't you know it, the baby stopped moving just when she was SO close to having him/her in the perfect position for the most important measurement of the ultrasound. So then she started jabbing my belly with the ultrasound probe to get the baby to move. I had to wiggle around and finally walk around a little to shake him up. We finally got the baby just right. Both ultrasound techs tried SO hard to find out the sex of the baby, too. Hahahaha! Here I was thinking I was going to be able to wait to find out and as soon as she asked if I'd like to know if she could tell, I blurted out: "YES!" I totally got my hopes up that I was going to be able to leave with a big giant secret to tell Ed, but it was too early. The baby was in the perfect position to be able to tell (complete spread eagle), but the sex organs weren't visible yet. Some may say that's indicative of it being a girl, but neither tech mentioned that. I guess we'll wait 4 more weeks to find out. So again, fantastic ultrasound. Got some great pics! I should post one, eh? I'll do that before I log off. Oh! I should mention that the baby's heart rate was 177 last week! That's still pretty high (normal range is 120-180 at this stage), but the ultrasound tech thought it could've been because he/she was SO active during that particular ultrasound.

Tomorrow I finally get to meet my doctor! Wooooooohooooooooo! I've heard GREAT things about this man, and I'm really hoping I like him as much as the few friends I know that have had him. I mean, after all, this man is going to be elbow deep for the next 5 1/2 months - I should really like him, right? I'm a little bit nervous about what this doctor might say about my weight gain. Ugh. I'm actually dreading what he might say about the unbelievable amount of pudge I have growing around the middle. For a minute I thought it was pretty hard and a baby bump. But now it's soft and it's totally a bagel bump. Oh boy. I have GOT to get a grip on this eating healthy and exercising thing.

I'd also like to point out that I'm convinced this baby growing inside me is a boy! I feel so strongly about it, that I could actually BUY boy things. But I won't. I'll wait. I know it's a 50/50 chance that I'm right. Or wrong. So, I'll wait. I get LOTS of girl guesses, but I'm pretty sure that is because of the weight I'm gaining. People always say the girls take the "pretty" out of you and you kind of gain weight all over. The boys are supposedly more of a basketball type of weight gain. Well, folks... I've just been eating LOADS of carbs. In my defense, they're all I've been able to stomach for the past few weeks. I'm starting to feel better and my energy is starting to come back, so hopefully my eating will get a little (ok, a lot) better soon. Yikes! Ok. Moving on... I'm also looking forward to seeing what the baby's heartbeat is tomorrow. I think I may have mentioned that I bought a Sonoline B fetal doppler so that I could hear the baby's heartbeat whenever I wanted... Well, it has never gotten a reading of more than 137. So if the baby's heart rate is higher than that tomorrow I'm probably going to lose the faith I have in this thing. Maybe as I get further along it'll get more accurate. We'll see.

Wish me luck tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. How exciting!!! That ultrasound pic is, like, perfect! I know what you mean about the carbs...it's all I can eat right now as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to make Ed go to the ultrasounds with you!! It is too unbelievable to miss. I am so glad you like your doctor! I think he is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! Ed asked if I'd mind if he stayed home for the soccer game... Had I known it was going to be SUCH a lengthy detailed ultrasound, I wouldve definitely made him go! He won't miss anymore, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete